I found this gem at Goodwill in Phoenix, Arizona. I couldn’t do up the zipper, but loved the colour and the bohemian style.
Thanks to my Aunty Barb for bringing me to Goodwill and all the estate sales in Phoenix! I got lucky at one estate sale and found exactly what I was looking for- some great vintage buttons, a fur stole, andddd a rustic clock!
I could picture an anthropologie-esque refashion. I started by cutting at the fabric and the zipper, at approximately waist level. I couldn’t figure out how to make the waistband (as per usual). While consulting with a fellow seamstress, I tried on the “skirt” and the zipper pull came off the zipper-oops. There was no way I was getting the darn zipper pull back on the zipper. So back to the drawing board…
I got this from a recent clothing swap. I liked the detail on the top but thought it looked much like lingerie for wearing in public. I also wasn’t sure if I could breathe properly with all the buttons done up.
I pulled the dress down to my waist and VOILA- an instant waistband! I seam ripped the straps off. And cut off the bottom panel of fabric.
There were two layers of lovely, soft white cotton. The coral almost-a-skirt had a gross polyester lining…so I decided to cut the lining out, and use the soft cotton as the lining layer.
I zigzagged those raw edges to prevent fraying, and then pinned the two cotton layers to the coral layers, right sides to the right sides. I was lucky that both pieces of fabric were almost the same size! Sometimes things do work out when you don’t measure 🙂
And then the moment of truth…it worked! It worked!
And take a look at the back.
And it can morph into a dress too! I used a section I cut from the coral dress to make a sash.
And like most refashions, things don’t always go the way I planned…but it’s the process and the problem solving that makes it fun (and frustrating if it doesn’t work out in the end!). I do love those bell sleeves from the coral dress, but wasn’t sure what to do with them yet, so to the refash stash they go.