I’ve always liked the look of rompers but could never find one that flattered. Or that fit well. And this romper from value village was no exception:
I loved the combination of prints and colour/black and white. I did not love the (double) wedgie.
I pondered how I was going to make the torso longer…and eventually decided I would make a halter and leave the back open.
Woops, didn’t take a “before” photo of the back, but I think you can put it together from the photos below.
I used 4 way jersey stretch material to make the halter “straps”. I folded the material in half, sewed a seam, and turned each tube inside out with the help of my wooden stick (photo 2, so much more efficient than using a safety pin)!
And then I sewed the straps to the front of the romper.
Next, I worked on the back section.
Photo 1: There’s the back, seam ripped from the front section at the shoulder seam
Photo 2: Back section chop time
Photo 3: Folding that raw edge over (after zigzagging for fraying prevention)
I thought I was done, but alas, there is ALWAYS at least one unexpected problem to solve. There was a significant amount of risky exposure to the (ahem) *sides*, if you know what I mean! I added two small triangles of the jersey stretch material to each side of the torso section in attempt to avoid a Janet Jackson superbowl moment.
And then it ended up like this:
And here’s the back:
All in all, not too technically challening nor too frustrating. I think I’ll wear this!