Hrmph. I couldn’t think of a crafty name for this refash, so a boring title it will be.
But the outcome of the refashion is definitely not boring (in my opinion).
I started with this dress, which I found in the “ethnic” section at value village.
A little too much with all those sequins and beads as one piece. I decided to separate the bodice from the bottom panel. It was a bit tricky cutting near beads, but thankfully I didn’t destroy my scissors or the lovely beads!
Then I seam ripped to make one long piece of fabric.
It would be great to have some technical knowledge about how to make a waistband. Something about making a contour so that it lays flat against your body?? But as per usual, I winged it. I measured my waist where I wanted the skirt to sit (after “trying” on the bottom panel to see how it draped on various waist levels) and then marked off where I wanted the new seam to be. I turned over the raw edge, making a sort of waistband. I hope it doesn’t fray inside the seam.
Because this material did not stretch whatsoever, I had to install a zipper. BLEHHhh. It has been quite a while since I installed my first zipper. I don’t remember how to do it. At all. The zipper I wanted to use was “invisible”, so it was a different set of (still) confusing instructions. I persevered and after about 40 minutes, I was pleasantly surprised (and proud) that I had installed my first invisible zipper correctly!! I even managed to get the zipper pull lined up with the waistband.
After that exhausting zipper business, I couldn’t figure out what I wanted to do with the bodice, so for now it will be stashed in the “to refash” bin.
Here’s the skirt.
Here’s the before/after:
Cheers to the challenge of zippers. Practice, practice, practice….(more than twice in a 7 month period!) and I may just enjoy installing them at some point in the future.