Early in my sewing days, I refashioned
(1) No shape without a belt…as shown above!!
(2) With a belt, the fabric bunched awkwardly
(3) Mismatched fabric weights- bottom panel was much heavier than the blazer linen
Perhaps my refashion resulted in an even MORE awkward blazer (maybe this is not technically a blazer as my dad pointed out but it’s not really a jacket either). And I haven’t worn it once (surprise, surprise).
It was time for a re-refashion…
I patiently seam ripped (although I will admit that I thought about cutting it to save time!).
The blazer was still slightly too wide (the initial refashioning involved taking in the sides a few inches) resulting in an unflattering look:
I solved this problem by adding a button near the bottom hem and overlapping the material. Thanks to my mom for donating crazy neon green buttons from the 80’s (ummm or maybe I went through her button supply and took ’em!)! They were too big to fit in my buttonhole foot so I had to freestyle the button hole. I used a zigzag stitch with a really short stitch length and made a rectangle.
I added a second decorative green button to the middle of the blazer- gladly the blazer did not gape open so I didn’t have to make a second functioning button hole.
And here’s the finished product!
I’m happy with the lack of back gappage (pic 2)! I can’t explain wearing sunglasses inside.
Okay, maybe it’s because I was too lazy to do my make up ;).
I will definitely wear my Re- ReFashion soon!!
The lovely purple fabric was not forgotten. It found a new home where it will get more attention!